Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Canning

So I had to post a picture of the fruits of my labor. I decided to attempt to can. Now I have never done this before but I figured it would help out my food storage. My neighbor helped me get a great price on chicken and so i went to work. And let me tell you, it was work! Courtney helped by cutting up all of the chicken while I prepared the bottles and lids. When I was done with all of it I had canned 36 pints. I am so relieved to be done with it. The only problem is that I am not really wanting to eat it. I am afraid I am going to poison us all. Now I now my pressure was high enough and it went long enough so hopefully I will be able to get over it. It is a little funny because I don't really even think about it when I open a can of chicken from Costco...Anyway, I am way excited that I was able to learn this skill and I know it will be delicious when I get to eating it.

15 comments:

Angie said...

I have never canned before, and I really want to learn. Great job on all your hard work!

Boo and Sara said...

I am so impressed. I have watched my mom can food for years, you'd think I would know how. Someday I am going to have my mom teach me. It is great food storage.

*kRiSti* said...

Wow!! I'm impressed.We spent a heck of alot of $ on already prepared food storage, and I'm positive yours will taste waaay better! My mom used to can, I need to learn!

Dale and Marcie said...

Way to go! It looks great :) I should have taken a picture of my potatoes, elk, spaghetti sauce, apple pie filling, and jam. Wow I didn't realize I did so much LOL Oh well there is always next time.

Sundi @ The Life of a Cheap Chickadee said...

Cool! I would like to learn chicken!

Justin and Steph said...

Awesome! I need to do more canning all I do is jam. Pretty much because that is the only thing I have tried!

ashley said...

I am so impressed! I have never canned before and would really like to know how! I think I would have the same reservations as you with the chicken BUT I am sure it will be just fine!
P.S. Love the new family pic!

Tara Joy said...

How funny is this! I bet we were both canning our little hearts out on the same day. I do find it very rewarding. Great job! You can get almost anything from the cannery in St George if you know thier schedule on when stuff comes in but that is just the trick. You almost have to know someone in the know, type thing. Las Vegas we are not so lucky cause there in no wet pack here so none of the great fruits and veggies ever come our way.

*kRiSti* said...

Kell, Get on my blog and read the info about the PAnthera open house!! want you there!

Anonymous said...

Look at you getting all domestic and stuff. Since when did we turn into grown ups? I have to admit when i think of canning I do not think of chicken! I consider making my homemade jam canning :-)
I always take the easy route. I'd give you a big pat on the back if I could.....that's awesome.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hehe, sorry 'bout that. For some awesome reason my comment decided to post itself a bajillion times. PS You fam pic is muey bueno

3boysohmy said...

Have you eaten any yet? Let me know how it goes, I'm sure it will be yummy...I need to learn stuff like that, good for you!